This is a little taste of what we are up to! If you would like to be invited to our blog, please email me at brookeoromney (at) gmail (dot) com

Friday, February 18, 2011

What's the Score?

Well, we don't know...because apparently kids are not supposed to keep score when they play sports any more. Even Jace, who is almost 8 is obviously too young to handle winning and losing. Oh, and you can travel, double dribble, you can't steal.. Let me just say, and I'll move on (or not), that I would rather teach my kids at a younger age (for sure by 6 or 7) to win and lose graciously and to play the game right...than to have it hit them in the face at some later point (when?) and then wonder, "Why doesn't everyone win? That's no fair! Everyone used to always win! I thought I was good. What happened?" I fully believe my kids are capable of handling winning and losing. And if they are not, it's time for them to learn how. It's like a major backlash from crazy sideline parents and abusive coaches. I'm pining for a happy middle.

Plus, kids play and try harder when there is something on the line. There is almost no incentive to play as a team if it doesn't matter who wins. Every kid on the court is in it for themselves, no one passes, no one goes for the sure shots, everyone is out to be Jimmer Fredet from half court. Harsh reality of life...sometimes you don't win. Get used to it. Learn to deal. Play harder, you'll have a better shot at winning.

So, I'm kind of sounding like a Tiger mom, but I'm not. Sports here are just a totally different ball game (pun intended). We are getting used to it, seeing the value in the Kumbaya theory, but in all honesty, wishing for better. A little healthy competition and a little intensity by the time you turn 8 doesn't seem like a sin.
That being said, the boys have loved playing basketball this season and had lots of fun.
Boy #3
Loves practice, hates games. Great dribbler and shooter, but when it comes to playing a game, he looks at his teammates as they swarm the ball and the other players like, "You guys are crazy. I'm just going to hang out over here, and if the ball comes my way, so be it. If not, I am NOT throwing myself into that mess of people." He marches to the beat of his own dribble.
Boy #2
 Serious skills and seriously tiny. Such a coordinated and fast kid. He's learned so much and is starting to be more willing to be aggressive. Great dribbler, good shooter and plays hard.  Jumps non stop and is almost always open right by the hoop, but no one passes. Basketball with 5 and 6-year-olds is always interesting, but he loves playing.
Boy #1
Crazy serious, competitive (though it has been drilled into him that winning doesn't matter, which is probably good for him), just a good athlete. He practices and plays hard and it shows. He loves being out there and loves team sports. Sometimes he thinks he's professional. Case in point: After a particularly lazy game of his, I asked him why he didn't try and get the ball, but just stood down by the hoop, yelling for the ball. His reply?

"That's what they do in the NBA. Other guys get the ball, then they throw it to the best player and he always shoots it."

I kindly reminded him that he does not play in the NBA, he keeps throwing up crazy shots, so he is not the best shooter, and 8 year olds have no desire to work hard to get the ball then pass it to the lazy kid at the end of the court. He didn't think I was being very nice, but really???? His confidence kills me. Lucky for us, the next game he was back into hussle mode. He doesn't like correction, but he's pretty good to put it into practice.

I have to say that one of the best things about having 3 boys is watching them play sports. Glad I like it because it looks like this just might be my life!
To read more, and see some darn cute pics, click here

1 comment:

  1. I read this post to Jeff the other day and we laughed so hard about the NBA comment. Your boys are great!

    ReplyDelete