This is a little taste of what we are up to! If you would like to be invited to our blog, please email me at brookeoromney (at) gmail (dot) com

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Canned Salsa


I have a killer homemade, fresh salsa recipe, that i love to make and love to eat...so I've gotten spoiled and so has my family. We like very few store salsas (unless they are over $5). But, my fresh stuff doesn't stay good for long, and I don't like making it daily, so I remembered I loved Lyric's mom's canned salsa recipe, so the other night I canned 10 huge jars of salsa! We love salsa a bit sweet and not too spicy, so we've been plowing through our supply. The best thing about it is that you don't need a canner...the jars seal themselves! Here's the recipe if you want to give it a try.

P.S. You have to have a HUGE pot, buy the tomatoes at Costco, and find a good deal on green peppers (farmer's market) to make it very cost effective.

8 quarts whole tomatoes, blended for a few minutes (I use my hand blender)
9 chopped green peppers (the smaller chopped the better)
3/4 c. dried onions
4 large chopped jalepenos (some seeds removed, can use more if you like it spicy)
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
5 c. vinegar (white distilled)
4 T. salt
2 tsp. pepper
1/4 chopped fresh garlic (sold in jars)
1/2 c. sugar (you can omit this if you don't like it very sweet)
Add all ingredients to a large stock pot. Cook slowly for at least 3 hours (not a big boil, more a light simmer). You will need to stir it often but not constantly. Then pour into jars. They will seal themselves. If they don't seal in 24 hours, refrigerate and eat.
(If you have questions about how to can this, let me know!)

No comments:

Post a Comment