This is a little taste of what we are up to! If you would like to be invited to our blog, please email me at brookeoromney (at) gmail (dot) com

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My Merriest Moment

Today was a busy day. I decided to take my kids to the mall to see Santa. Crazy? Yes. When we pulled into the parking lot I realized just how crazy the idea was. I could not see an empty parking spot. As I turned down one aisle, #1 yelled, "Mom, stop! There is a man back there in a wheelchair who needs help."

My reply was, "Honey, lots of people are in wheelchairs. They do just fine. He's fine. I didn't even see him." And I started to pull into a coveted parking space decently close to the doors.

Then, #1 again, "Mom, the spirit is telling me that we really should go help that man."

I paused. I know that one of the most important things Mike and I try to teach our boys is to listen to the good promptings we receive. It's extremely important to us that we raise children who care about others more than themselves. We would love it if their natural instincts were to always watch for those in need and be unafraid to help. So, here I was in a tough spot. I really didn't want to help, I had Christmas plans, but how could I ignore my 7 year old who was demonstrating what we hope our children are learning in our home. So, I backed out of the parking spot and found one far away from the mall, but closer to the man.

We got out of the car and I finally saw what #1 was talking about. An older man was sitting in a wheelchair across the insanely busy street between a public health center and the mall. He was on one side, me and my 3 kids were on the other. There was no traffic light or crosswalk in eyesight. We walked as close as we could and I yelled across the traffic, "Do you need any help?"

He smiled a little and said he was just waiting for a break in the traffic so he could get across. I smiled and said okay, knowing that break would never come. I started to turn around to walk towards the mall, but something pulled me back, that unsettling feeling that there was more I should do. I watched the cars zooming by, with better things to do than stop for a man in a wheelchair. I stood, trying to think, "How can I get traffic to stop?" I wasn't about to parade my 3 kids into oncoming traffic, but I didn't know what else to do.

Then, like 2 little angels in blue and maize, out came women from the health center. I'd already watched 3 people cross quickly without bothering to help the man in the wheelchair. But these women came out of their offices and literally stopped traffic to get the man across the street safely. We met them on the other side.

We wheeled D out of the cold and into the mall. He was kind, polite and grateful for the help. We found out he'd been waiting for a ride for over 2 hours and was getting hungry, so he was going to the mall to see if he could find chips or something to tide him over until he got home. My kids were sweet and talked with him a bit as we asked him about his life and family.

We found the food court together, bought him some nachos and left him with a little money, as it was obvious he had nothing but a few coins. He shook hands with my children and gave them a snaggle-tooth smile. He said to them, "You are good boys. I bet you are on the honor roll at school, right?" He was so cheerful and happy and giving of his love and energy even though I cannot imagine that his life warrants much tangible happiness. We asked if there was anything else we could do, to which he replied, "I'm just going to sit in here, eat and relax for awhile until my ride comes." He thanked us and blessed us as we walked away.

We still went to see Santa, but it all felt a little different. In fact, Jace didn't ask for anything, just that everyone would have a nice Christmas.

I am incredibly grateful for a sensitive son who listens to the voice of the spirit when it speaks to him. I'm so glad I listened to his little voice. This special Christmas moment reiterated to me that God has no hands but ours. That we have to look outside ourselves and that by doing that, we find real joy and happiness. It was perhaps, the merriest moment of my Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment