This is a little taste of what we are up to! If you would like to be invited to our blog, please email me at brookeoromney (at) gmail (dot) com

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Freedom

We have been blessed to meet some great friends here. One family we particularly enjoy is from Egypt. Both parents are doctors and they have 3 wonderful children. We had them over at Christmastime to learn more about their Muslim religion and share some of our traditions with them. We soon found that while our core beliefs are very different, the way they manifest themselves in daily living is shockingly similar. It was a wonderful night.

When the revolution started in Egypt, I thought about them constantly. I was dying to know how they felt about what was going on in their country. We finally made time to connect on Friday and I went to her house with a mind full of questions. She kindly told me she was going to leave the television on...she has been so anxious about what is happening in Egypt since her family, colleagues, and friends are all there and she wants to know what is happening in her country at all times.

As I spoke to her about Egypt, she shared with me the oppression that is felt there. She likened the Egyptian people to victims of domestic violence...people who know they are being treated wrongly, but are too emotionally defeated to do anything about it. She told me that for every 5 Egyptians there is one secret service officer watching them. People listen to their phone calls and watch their actions. Torture is rampant, especially for saying anything against the government. When she was teaching her classes, many students would ask, "Why?" "Why should we study?" "Why should we learn?" They didn't feel like there was anything out there for them because there was so much government control.

Both she and her husband were MDs and taught at the University. Her take home pay after teaching for 15 years was $600 per month because of taxes and bribes they had to concede to. Most Egyptians live on $2 a day, so they were well above the standard. But, once you get more money, you end up paying more to be left alone and continue your work. Everything is corrupt.  The government takes everything...the $400 million a year from the Suez Canal, the profits from tourism, and then, if you leave Egypt, you continue to pay money to the government so you can be out of the country. Poor young people risk their lives everyday to leave Egypt on a floating raft and sail to Greece. Most die trying. Those who are more educated, try to leave to study. The government decides what crops can be grown and what can be bought and sold and at what price. They control the television and radio stations.

When I asked her if she thought a revolution like this would ever happen, she said, "No. I thought we were too broken. I never thought this many people would rise up." She continued to tell me, "Brooke, you don't understand because you won't be able to tell, but the people protesting in the streets are from everywhere...there are rich and poor, male and female, young and old. They are from all religions and all social classes. This isn't a revolution of just the rich or just the poor. All of Egypt is there."

Then, as she was saying this, she paused, and looked at her TV as the Vice-President came into focus. She was watching in Arabic, so I didn't know what was being said, but she stood still, eyes wide, mouth open, hands on her cheeks. She said over and over, "I can't believe it. I can't believe it." She turned and looked at me and said, with tears in her eyes, "The vice-president stepped down. I didn't think this would ever happen." She started to cry and immediately knelt down to pray and thank God. She stood up with wet eyes, and hugged me, hard. I was crying with her and at a loss for words.

I asked, "Did you think this would ever happen?" She said, "No. Yesterday he told the protesters he would bury them tomorrow and here he is stepping down."

Then her phone started ringing and I listened as she exclaimed with her mother and sister over the phone from Egypt. They were speaking Arabic, but it didn't matter...I understood their celebration and incredulity and gratitude. She quietly murmured, "I wish I were there. I wish I were there." It was my turn to leave and let her bask in this joy with other people who really understood. She hugged me with a smile and I told her I would never forget that moment. I felt so blessed to witness something so sacred. She told me, "God sent you here this morning to be here with me." If that is true, I am so grateful He sent me.

You see, I'm an American...have always been. My freedom, while I hate to admit it, is often taken for granted. I take for granted that open to my children is every possibility, that I can choose my leaders, that we are safe, that you can right wrongs, that you can have second chances, that no one is watching me, that I can say what I want to say and others can too without fear, that hatred and cruelty is not tolerated, that I can worship the way I please, that I can pursue happiness.

I'm not a political scientist and I know very little about the Middle East, but what I know is that on Friday I saw sheer joy at even the glimmer of freedom from one who never thought it would be possible. I saw a lifelong yearning for something that was once unattainable start to be filled. I saw hope and rejoicing and love and pride in the people of her country. I saw the gratitude I should feel, everyday, for being lucky enough to live in America. That night I went to bed with a heart full of thanksgiving for the life and opportunity I have here and for a new friendship that taught me how it should feel, everyday, to be free.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is incredible! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat experience. I loved learning more about their culture, and realized how blessed I am. Thankyou for your insights, I have loved reading your thoughts and feelings.

    ReplyDelete