This is a little taste of what we are up to! If you would like to be invited to our blog, please email me at brookeoromney (at) gmail (dot) com

Monday, February 7, 2011

Salad, Pasta, Books, TV

Once in awhile I find things that solve my own problems and I just have to share...
Problem 1: I need an impressive winter salad to take to a get together
Here is the best winter salad I make...spinach, bacon, pears, a delightful vinaigrette dressing. I promise, everyone will want this recipe:

Spinach Salad with pears and blue cheese
just a note, this is great for company because everything except the pears can be prepared the day before and put into little bags in the fridge if you are making it on a busy day. You can also add rotisserie chicken to it to make it a main dish salad

I just kind of decide how much I want of everything but I'll try to give you an idea:

One large bag of spinach (almost all of a Costco size bag)...enough to fill a very large bowl of salad (you can also use Romaine or green leaf lettuce if you prefer)
1 yellow pepper, cut into very small pieces
1/2-3/4 medium red onion, cut into very small pieces
About a pound of bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled (I'm not afraid of microwave bacon...I actually like how crisp it gets)
2 ripe d'anjou pears (I think having this type of pear is important, they take awhile to ripen so buy early) cut into smallish pieces
Crumbled blue cheese, to taste (I don't like really big chunks)
Sugared almonds, the more the better :) about 1 larger bag of slivered almonds

To sugar the almonds put the bag of almonds into a pan on the stove, add about 1/2 to 3/4 C of sugar...cook over medium high heat until the sugar starts to dissolve and becomes liquid and the almonds begin to brown. When they are coated, pour onto a pan or plate, let them dry and cool and then crumble into salad.

Here is the dressing recipe: 1/4 C red wine vinegar, 1 TBSP. Dijon mustard, 1/4-1/3 C sugar, 1/2 cup plus 2 TBSP oil, a dash of salt and pepper. Shake! (I like to make the dressing the day before and let it sit in the fridge. Shake it up and make sure it tastes just right.) Don't dump it all on to the salad...pour some, toss, taste, pour some more, etc.

Problem 2: I'm taking dinner to a friend's family but I want something that is easy to transport, makes double for my family, won't break the bank and her picky kids will eat

This meal is a new one, but recently got rave reviews from my family and another! And, for all of you who don't cook, I promise, making a white sauce is simple (but don't use cannery flour)!

Cheesy Rigatoni

1 lb. rigatoni noodles
36 oz. Ragu Sun-dried tomato and basil spaghetti sauce (about a jar and 1/2--I think this kind and flavor is best)
1 lb. mozzarella cheese
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
1 zucchini, grated
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
4 T. butter
4 T. flour
2 c. milk

Cook and drain noodles according to package. Grate the zucchini and saute over med-hi heat in a little butter (if you must have meat, this is a good time to saute the beef or sausage too), when almost cooked, throw in the spinach and pour the spaghetti sauce over the mixture . Cover and let simmer. Make a white sauce by melting the butter into a saucepan, when melted, whisk in flour and then whisk in milk until smooth. Stir until it thickens a bit.

In a deep 9 x 13 pan, Layer 1/2 the noodles, 1/2 the white sauce (it won't completely cover), 1/2 the spaghetti sauce and 1/2 of both cheeses. Repeat layers. Bake 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees until hot and bubbly.  

I promise no one even notices the spinach or zucchini...you can't taste it at all.  Serve with french bread and an easy Cesar salad. 


Problem 3: It's winter and I'm inside all the time...what should I read?

If you want to better yourself: The Anatomy of Peace (The Arbinger Institute)
Incredible. This is technically a "self-help" book, which I usually can't stand, but this one was the greatest. For one, it was written in allegory, which made it much more interesting...it's like I was reading someone else's life experience but gleaning all the advice and help I needed from it. For two, it was so full of "truth" that I was constantly nodding my head, smiling and wondering why I hadn't already seen things the same way. It talks about having a heart at peace with everyone around you and I've had multiple situations in the last few months where I have used the strategies and philosophies and feel so much better about the way I have handled difficult situations. This book made me so self-reflective that at times I was uncomfortable with what I was realizing about myself and what I need to change. It was an easy, quick read and I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to better their relationships or who is struggling with something or someone in particular. I'm planning on re-reading it often.

If you want to learn about another culture and be devoured by great writing and an unforgettable story: Shanghai Girls (Lisa See)
Oh man I loved this book. I could not put it down. I loved the way the author included so many different viewpoints in her novel. I loved main character and watching her grow, mature and become a mother. I loved reading how so many survived serious hardship. People and children are amazingly resilient. It was a historical fiction (a combination of many real stories with fictional characters). It made me look at people and the world differently and wonder what they had been through to be where they are today. I loved how it showed that your life doesn't have to be perfect to find happiness and contentment...oftentimes you must create that peace and fulfillment within yourself in spite of your circumstances. Most lives don't go according to plan.  The Chinese culture is so different from mine, that I always find it fascinating to learn more about it, especially to hear what America was like for them. I have to admit, I hated the ending though...I mean really hated it, so I'm ignoring that it ended the way it did because aside from the last 10 pages, it was truly amazing. Overall, it was pretty clean though there were some difficult and very real things that happened in the book. 

Problem 4: Everything on television is complete junk. What can we watch that is actually interesting and appropriate? 
We LOVE NBC's Parenthood. Great, fun, realistic and uplifting. If you haven't watched it yet, we'd recommend getting caught up...it's halfway through the second season right now. Of course there are a handful of other things we watch, but this is our favorite (so I'm sure it will get cancelled), and between Mike's studying and my reading, there isn't a ton of time for TV. 

What are you cooking, watching and reading to keep your winter moving?

1 comment:

  1. Brooke, I made a variation of this dish tonight for dinner (and doubled it to freeze one for later!) and it was a hit. I kind of combined this recipe with one that I use a lot that I call Lazy Lasagna. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete