This is a little taste of what we are up to! If you would like to be invited to our blog, please email me at brookeoromney (at) gmail (dot) com

Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Spirit of Hymns

Today in church I was flooded with the spirit. It's rare with 3 boys on the pew with  me. But the cacophone seemed to still for a minute today while we were all taught truth through word and music.

*The first speaker let us into his life as he talked about gaining his own testimony. He remembered wanting to know, for a surety from the time he was 8. He asked earnestly, always before a big spiritual moment in his life, but was often disappointed...no heavenly angels or Christ appearing to him, but he had faith that what he was doing was true and brought him happiness, so he continued to believe. It wasn't until he was 20, that he felt the arms of his Savior wrap around him and testify of the truth of the gospel he had always believed in. 

He then played, "I believe in Christ" on the piano. First with just his right hand. It seemed so hesitant but clear and simple, just like the beginning of his testimony and the beginning of mine. On the next verse, he added another part, and the song became a touch richer and more confident; on the third verse the music became full and interesting, and the fourth verse was the climax with beautiful and intricate details, but it was not flawless. It was just like the testimony he now possesses. One that has been worked on and tested, over and over again. He ended the song, with a few short notes on his right hand only...reminding us that it was still the same, simple song that he started out with and it was beautiful every way he played it. I was so moved, by what he played and the story it told. I reflected on how my own testimony of the Savior is sometimes simple and other times complicated, sometimes confident and other times hesitating...but it's always there and I'm grateful for that.

*The second speaker let us into a dim, heartbroken time of her life where her own loneliness enveloped her. She sang the words to the hymn "Abide with Me," and told us that as she sang that song, she knew she would never be alone, that Christ would always be her companion. I was so touched by her honesty and sincerity and knew she was speaking truth. Christ can be our companion, especially in our darkest hour.

*The third speaker taught us what music can mean, if we let it. It can tie worlds together; it can bring people closer and can touch you in a way you are unprepared for. She grew up in France and for a time lived on an island in French Polynesia. She expounded on how the island people sing, and I couldn't help smile as she vividly described the way their whole souls sang the hymns as they praised God. They sang loud and with gusto. She said she remembers feeling so much joy when they sang she wanted to stand up and dance. As she continued to speak, my body ached to be there, to be part of what she was describing. Then, she asked our small congregation to sing "Sweet Hour of Prayer." She invited us to stand and sing with our whole souls. It was an amazing experience as our small numbers belted out such a wonderful song, "In seasons of distress and grief, my soul hath often found relief..." In that moment, as a congregation, I think we all felt the relief that the holy spirit can bring as we united in song. It was a moment you wish could last longer that it did.

*The fourth and final speaker had only a few minutes, but chose to share his feelings about the children's hymn, "I am a Child of God." They are words we are all familiar with, taken from the foundation of our testimony..."I am a Child of God, and He has sent me here. Has given me an earthly home, with parents kind and dear. Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way. Teach me all that I must do, to live with Him some day."

He told us how that song meant so much to him because he sang it with the people of Russia during his mission. When their life was bleak and hopeless, the words of the song brought hope and love. He also sang it when he lived in Egypt with a few members of the church and many refugees. Many people there had nothing at all and others had plenty but they all, regardless of circumstance needed the same thing, the love of God in their lives. 

He then began singing the song, a capella. First in Russian, then in Arabic. The congregation, for a moment, was completely silent. Jace leaned over and said "Even the babies are listening." What happened was we were all swept up in the beautiful spirit of his simple testimony and the truth of the words he sang.

I am just immensely grateful that I was there today. What an infusion of the spirit it was for me. These were moments that strengthened my testimony of God and the gospel of Jesus Christ. It reaffirmed that I know He lives and loves us and wants us to partake of His joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment