This is a little taste of what we are up to! If you would like to be invited to our blog, please email me at brookeoromney (at) gmail (dot) com

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Enjoy the ride!

I recently came across this treasured quote again:


“Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he has been robbed.  The Fact is that most putts don’t drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to be just people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, and most jobs are more often dull than otherwise.  Life is like an old time rail journey—delays, side-tracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas, and thrilling bursts of speed.  The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride.”
                                  Gordon B. Hinkley

As I was thinking about the reality of this, and the truth of it, I reflected on my life and wrote these words that I wanted to remember: 

I've always loved this quote, but have always been grateful that my life has already been blessed with much more bliss than most people get to experience. I feel so blessed to have a marriage that has almost always been a source of great joy, adventure and love. Healthy, smart kids who I genuinely enjoy. A job (staying home with my kids) that is better than I ever imagined and family and extended family that love and care about me more than I deserve.

Looking back, there have been hard times and rough patches, in fact in hind sight I often wonder how we made it through, but in the moment everything still seemed pretty good. I've always had people and the gospel to piggy back me over the worst of it. In fact, during the worst moments I often felt like my feet were barely skimming reality. 

There will certainly be more hard times to come, but I feel like I almost always have a taste of the beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed and am so grateful for that. From the outside my life seems rather ordinary but because of the people I've been blessed to be on this crazy ride with, I find it mostly extraordinary. 

7 comments:

  1. Good reminder on a day when I'm feeling a little sorry for myself. Thanks Brooke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just reading the talk this comes from the other day! President Hinckley was quoting someone named Jenkin Lloyd Jones and this part that precedes what you have gives an interesting context to consider as well. Thanks for your thoughts, always a treasure to read!

    "There seems to be a superstition among many thousands of our young who hold hands and smooch in the drive-ins that marriage is a cottage surrounded by perpetual hollyhocks, to which a perpetually young and handsome husband comes home to a perpetually young and ravishing wife. When the hollyhocks wither and boredom and bills appear, the divorce courts are jammed."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacey! How funny that you were reading this too. It does give much needed context. Appreciate the insight!!

      Delete
  3. Love this quote! Beau and I were just talking about this the other day. Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aghhhh Brooke, I needed to hear that today! You have a way with words and I totally connect with you! Wish we lived in Saline still, I know we would be good buds:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsey! You are so sweet. I knew we would be friends from the moment I met you :). Maybe you will be back one day.

      Delete