This is a little taste of what we are up to! If you would like to be invited to our blog, please email me at brookeoromney (at) gmail (dot) com

Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Big Day!


To see the full post, click here

Graduation!
On April 26, 2012 Mike graduated with a Master's of Health Management and Policy from the University of Michigan. It was such a proud day for our entire family. I'm not a very emotional person, but as he walked into the gorgeous Hill Auditorium I was fighting back tears the entire time as I realized what this meant for him and for our family.

Mike has put his heart, soul and all his effort into obtaining this degree. He's been a stellar student with incredible grades, the "go to" guy for everything at the school, the President of the professional association, the networking king and everyone's favorite classmate. In addition to all of this, he has held down jobs on the side, a bishopric calling and somehow managed to be a husband and father. We could not be more proud of him and his example for the boys of following your dreams and valuing education

Many people over the last few days have said, "This degree is half yours," and as I watched Mike take his diploma, I really felt the truth in that statement. It was such a difficult decision and came with loads of sacrifices and life changes. For two years, we rarely saw Mike and when we did he was often only available for an hour or two and then had to get back to work. Many days were tough and often I felt like a single mom. I knew that having our last baby and working part time would be especially challenging during our second year here and often held my breath through difficult days or weeks, but it was all worth it! My friends, ward and community made many of those long days shorter and lonely weekends full of fun. I am so grateful for the sustaining arm of my Savior who often prodded me along reminding me that I am here to stretch myself and do hard things. While I may not have a M.H.A. to show for it, I've obtained my own invaluable education over the past 2 years.

I am also so proud of my boys. They have had fantastic attitudes about change and their new life here. They've adjusted to everything so well and never complain about not having a bigger house or more money to do fun things (That is not to say they aren't excited for 3 bathrooms and a garage :). They have been awesome, and I'm so grateful they are mine. I hope they will always remember being at their dad's graduation and I hope it will help them be fearless as they set life goals for themselves.

I must also mention my gratitude to Mike's parents and my parents for their support of this crazy decision. Their love, words of encouragement and their financial help made this process much less stressful than it could have been. Once again, we are forever in your debt and hope that we will one day fill that role for our children when they most need it. 

Enough of the sappiness...mostly it was a day filled with complete JOY!!

He looks even more handsome as a graduate, don't you think?

The gorgeous Hill auditorium and one note about the graduation....it was an incredible thing to witness and you couldn't help but feel the intellectual power in the room. The keynote speaker was inspiring and allowed you to be excited about where health care about public health will go. He encouraged the graduates to get out there are change the world. It was fantastic. 

My man.



proud parents

Love this guy.





No comments:

Post a Comment