This is a little taste of what we are up to! If you would like to be invited to our blog, please email me at brookeoromney (at) gmail (dot) com

Monday, November 21, 2011

The BEST stuffing

Before you decide what you are making for Thanksgiving, put this on your menu. It's the one thing I cannot live without. Everyone I've made it for, even the skeptics, love it. I promise, make your original and this one too...you can never have enough stuffing!!

Cornbread Stuffing

9 x 13 pan of baked cornbread (I've done homemade and Jiffy, both work just fine can make the day before and let it get dry)
1/2 lb. of pork sausage--mild with sage
1 medium onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 8 oz. can water chestnuts, rinsed, drained, chopped
1/2 c. pine nuts
1 T. finely chopped fresh sage or 1 1/2 tsp. dried
1 1/2 C. turkey or chicken stock

(I have also added craisins, the full pound of sausage and more pine nuts and I love it that way)
Fry sausage in a large skillet until brown. Remove from pan to a large mixing bowl, leaving oil and drippings in pan. Saute the onion over medium heat in sausage pan, add celery after about 2 minutes. Cook until onions are translucent. Add to sausage mixture in bowl. Add baked corn bread, crumbling in pieces, sage, water chestnuts and pine nuts. Add stock. Mix all ingredients. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish. Cover with foil and bake on top rack for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove foil and bake for another 30 minutes until the top is crunchy and brown.

I always make this salad too!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment